Experience in the construction and retrofitting of fossil generation
We have broad experience in the construction and retrofitting of fossil generation. Our team has provided oversight, project management, procurement and regulatory advice on large, complex, high-profile coal, gas and cogeneration projects, from brownfield equipment retrofits to greenfield new generation.
Here is an example of the services we have provided in this industry:
New Fossil Generation: Kansas City Power & Light – Iatan 2 Project – 850 MW Supercritical Coal Plant
Modus consultants assisted Kansas City Power & Light (KCP&L) with the development and construction of its Iatan 2 coal plant, a new 850 MW supercritical coal-fired plant which received accolades from Power Magazine as the 2011 Plant of the Year.
Modus’ consultants provided:
- Assistance with project planning; monitoring of the project’s construction activity
- Preparing and providing reports to management and regulators
- Developing and updating project risk assessments, schedule and cost projections
- Preparing documentation used for the company’s rate cases
- Assisting in negotiating and administering the project’s 140+ separate contracts
- Negotiating change orders and providing dispute avoidance and dispute resolution services.
- Consulting with the owner’s regulatory team, including drafting testimony regarding prudent management and providing expert testimony for the recovery of the project’s costs into rate base